Website Working Group

I’m proposing to move the website forward we create a small working group that puts a final proposal together for the group to review, and once approved moves on to implementation.

If folks are interested in doing this please reply with what you want to bring:

• Stake holder (vested interest in what the website does)
  • Content creator (wants to make the content)
  • Designer (wants to help with UX/Visual design)
  • Programmer (wants to help with specifiying and programming - state languages/databases familiar with)
  • Systems (wants to help specify and setup the server side part of this)

Expect there to be a telegram channel for this, and for skype chats, google docs, and githubery.

I’ve been maintaining the list of known Hackspaces which meet the draft definition, I suppose that’s content creation!

I’m presumably a stakeholder and I’m also currently running the server at the moment. I am also most of the other things you described as well. I hope I’ll have more time soon to work on development.

I feel like there’s been some confusion about the scope of this - to set things straight, we’re only really concerned with the membership system at the moment (and some design work). I have had a look at other membership management systems, but the generic ones are huge, have a large attack surface, and would probably need some significant customisation work to meet our needs.

Other hackspace membership systems may be better, but given the HSF’s two-tier membership system I think they’d need a fair amount of customisation work, which it would be unlikely to be worthwhile feeding back - so we’d be likely to end up forking.

I could not be less interested in writing a custom content management system, but I don’t believe this is our first priority anyway.

I’ve started adding requirements to the github issues.

I would say “we’re only concerned with the membership system” isn’t quite true… At least it feels like we need a bunch of docs somewhere that explain who we are, why we are etcetc… that we can point newcomers at…

Tho I guess that can link through to existing docs on github for now… It might confuse some people though, and wouldnt have consistent ui…

Easiest to bung on a thing for displaying/linking markdown ?

(does this thing thread - I hit reply on Russ’ post)

Happy to help with programming + content.

Jess

Would like to be considered a stakeholder for starters - can help with other things subject to languages used

I’ll be back on Friday and pick this up then.

It’s a 30 second job to convert the markdown into HTML and just put it up on the site, so I’m not so worried about that.

1 Like

Have released some minor changes to the current placeholder website - focusing on rendering the List of Spaces from the master google spreadsheet. The process is a quick’n’dirty hack, but at least we don’t need to manually sync the two lists anymore.

Hack improved to mildy stained… also added a map

And finished the evening with some styling - nothing about the new look is final, but it starting to look a bit nicer :slight_smile:

Last call otherwise we’ll call this the working group and move forward to set a Skype call or similar to kick things off.

However it would be great if all the above could write one post with links to research, documents and other useful stuff they have so far as a starting point for us to all get up to speed.

1 Like

Stakeholder and code.

tamarisk

Shall be lazy and start by linking to Russs’ list: https://github.com/UKHackspaceFoundation/website/issues

1 Like

summary of stuff I’ve been up to last week or so, wrt the http://www.hackspace.org.uk website

• Added some styling to the index page, a nice map and an auto-generated list of spaces
  • Space info now in a database with an admin UI - @stanto is master curator of space info
  • Developed a “github browser” that allows the markdown content in the /resources and /foundation repos to be browsed from the main site… thus acting as a kind of CMS

In terms of research, it can probably be summarised as:

• Platform choices seem to boil down to: Python3 + Django OR nodeJS + ?
  • We could try to build some compatibility with a space member mgmt app (e.g. shared modules, architecture)… if we did this, the only real candidates I’ve heard of are South London Makerspaces site (nodeJS, see github: https://github.com/SouthLondonMakerspace/membership-system) or CiviCRM
  • Existing (v1) website is python3 + django, with bootstrap-based styling on top - this could easily be the basis of all the extended functionality we’ve discussed, subject to a final choice on platform

Website before and after (comparing Dec 2016 as don’t have a snapshot of it from a week ago) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We’ll hold an initial kick off meeting on Google Hangouts on the 20th April 2017 at 20:00 > 21:30 please RSVP to let us know if you can or cannot make it.

We’ll just reuse this Hangout to save making a new one:

will attend :slight_smile:

Will try to attend :slight_smile:

Damian Axford wrote:

have summarised my thoughts (inc issues on git) as to what an end-state website must, should and could do:

Have used the repo wiki to make this easily editable, as I’m sure it’ll undergo some changes and logging this all as issues seemed premature :wink:

Please feel free to add additional items and/or re-prioritise, but please don’t remove anything at this point… we can debate their validity later.