First UK Hackspace Foundation V2 meetup

End of Febuary seems the clear winner.

We really need more than 8 responses to make that assumption.

Reminder if you haven’t responded to the doodle it’s here: https://doodle.com/poll/bigmuiuyr9n8h69q

tamarisk

1 Like

Ok,

Since this has been going on for a while now, I’m going to sort this out and get a place for it to be hosted.

Non-negotiable Decisions made (at least without the person negotiating taking over organisation)

1. This will happen in Manchester
  2. This will happen in October

Negotiable Decisions
Choice of October 7th, 8th, 14th or 15th - these seem to be the dates that the most people who filled out the previous doodle will be available.

If you’re able to attend on one of the above dates, please can you fill out this Form. https://goo.gl/forms/HGzV5jiYXZQqGKEE3
This will allow me to collate numbers and book a place.

---- IMPORTANT PLEASE FILL IN BEFORE SEPTEMBER 25th 2017. ------

I will post updates As soon as i can after that date as to meeting location. Pledges for venue hire funds will be collected on the day.

Kat

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick reminder to Please fill out the form https://goo.gl/forms/HGzV5jiYXZQqGKEE3 if you’re planning to come to the face to face meet up. So far there are only 9 entries.
All answers will be kept confidential, I just need to know actual numbers for Booking venue purposes.

Thanks
Kat (BinaryKitten of HacMan)

Thankyou @BinaryKitten for applying a healthy dose of JFDI…

:slight_smile:

Hi Everyone - A quick Update.

PLEASE PLEASE, if you are bringing someone or attending to bring someone, it’s imperative that we have the form at https://goo.gl/forms/HGzV5jiYXZQqGKEE3 filled out by them. This allows me to get the numbers for the booking right. I’m going to inflate the numbers a little bit for booking, but having a good idea on what to expect is important.

The Date has been settled on: Saturday October 14th (please let me know if this means you’re unable to attend and you had filled out the form)
The Meeting is going to schedule to start about 13:00 so that we have enough time for people to arrive.
The Venue search is still ongoing. I have a few places on the list,

Kat

delurk

Sadly I won’t be able to make that date, fingers crossed for event 2.0.

Apologies for my absence over the last few months, eviction/job/wedding absolutely ate me alive. Normal service should resume shortly.

Hi Everyone,

We now have Dates, Times, Venue locations.

TL;DR - October 14th 2017 13:00 - HackOldham - 38-44 Yorkshire Street, Oldham, OL1 1SE.

HackOldham has graciously allowed us to make use of their meeting space for the event.
Their address is: 38-44 Yorkshire Street, Oldham. OL1 1SE.

Car

There are some on street parking, but if you’re are coming by car - there are a few town centre car parks. They have a 3 hour for Free system, the details of which can be located here: https://www.oldham.gov.uk/info/200744/free_parking_offer

If you’re travelling in by Train: Manchester Piccadilly station Or Manchester Victoria both are good target stations. Travel can then be made to the venue either by Tram or Bus.

Tram
A Return ticket on the tram will cost you £3.80

• From Manchester Piccadilly: Take a Tram to Bury, switching at Manchester Victoria to the Rochdale Tram. Alight at Oldham Central.
  • From Manchester Piccadilly: Take a Tram to Eccles or Altrincham. Switch at St. Peter’s Square to the Rochdale Tram. Alight at Oldham Central.
  • From Manchester Victoria: Take the Rochdale Tram, Alight at Oldham Central.

Bus
A Day Ticket on the Bus will cost you £4.50

Walk to Manchester Piccadilly Gardens, where you will find a Morrison’s store. Just down from here you will find the bus stop ( Spot A on Page 2 of this Map PDF ) where you can catch an 83, 180 or 184 through to Oldham Bus station.

If you need any more information, please do contact me via Telegram (@BinaryKitten) OR email (Kathryn@BinaryKitten.com) OR reply to this thread.

1 Like

Quick brain dump:

Proposed items for agenda:

• Intro people
  • Trademark
  • Copyright (or left)
  • what constitutes a space and associated spaces
  • voting structure
  • links to discount companies
  • general organisation items better discussed face to face e.g. any left to discuss on CoC?
  • other
  • review minutes and agree to them

Proposed Timings: late lunch, finish official minuted meeting in under 2hrs, enough time to come back where we came from.

Happy to pitch in expense for lunch.

Hi Folks,

Thanks to @BinaryKitten for kicking us into a date and venue very effectively, now we just need to have a productive gathering.

Schedule

Here’s a proposal for the schedule, as with all things this is up for discussion:

13:00 Meet & greet, grab a drink, name badge and introduce yourself to someone you don’t know.
13:30 Pizza lunch!
14:15 Meeting proper starts
15:30 Stop for a coffee break
15:45 Resume meeting
17:00 Meeting close
18:00 Hack Oldham closes

Call for agenda items

Items for the agenda are sought. Please try to add detail of what you want to discuss in your agenda item so that people have chance to formulate their thinking beforehand. Please guess at how long you think it will take to discuss your item based on a clear statement of the proposal followed by discussion and possibly decision.

This will potentially be a very busy meeting so please take time to prepare.

I’m going to suggest that we take agenda items until Wednesday 11th of October 2017 at 17:00 UTC. Not the 18th as originally stated. Which is after the meeting. Thanks @BinaryKitten for pointing that out… :slight_smile:

Format

If anyone has suggestions on how we handle a large agenda should that be proposed then please add that here too :slight_smile:

We should try to avoid an ‘Any Other Business’ section to keep to a schedule so if you have a point you wish to discuss, please answer the call for agenda items.

Money!

Contributions will be welcome towards food, pledge or chuck money in a bowl. Anything over and above the costs incurred will be donated to the UK Hackspace Foundation, please give generously etc etc :wink: Pizzas cost about £7 so if you plan on eating a whole pizza and can afford it, suggested donation is £10.

If you’re able to give more to assist those who already have large travel expenses or just can’t afford to donate, that would also be appreciated. Nobody will judge you for how much you donate and we’ll try to make sure there’s something people can chuck money into without it being obvious of the amount.

Other stuff

This is all suggestion, if anyone else has suggestions on how we do this, please step forward.

Thanks, Ian.

1 Like

Muppet…

After this braindump

And following this very good suggestion:

Suggested topics for me are those that can be resolved In Real Life easier than online. So I will pick some topics from this forum where there as been plenty of discussion.

:star:Hackspace definition Is this discussion and this one over? what about this one? or this other topic? Can we take an executive decision?

Team Organisation At some point teams are formed and I have seen lots of progress so it is definately a good call. Should we create more? What are those teams?

TradeMark Is this discussion over? Can we take an executive decision?

Copy Left Is this discussion

Discounts from companies We got insurance covered? What else?

:star:Handling community a Hackspace Discussion, discussion, and discussion. Amongst other particular examples from spaces and how to brain storm solutions to improve collaboration.

In my Humble Opinion, the latter (Handling community) is the most important one, but can only be discussed after the first topic (define hackspace) is ironed out. All the other items can work as consequence of these two at a later date online.

I’ll ask around my space see if anything comes up.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll make the meeting… but I’d like to see a plan that gets us through to having actual formal members of the UKHSF. As it stands, we have an incorporated company and funds to invest, but no members to structure our decision making or manage said investments.

1 Like

Just a reminder folks, call for agenda items closes today.

Regards, Ian.

Hi Folks,

Consensus seems to be that this should be less agenda and more a suggested list of talking points, so here’s what we have.

See you all in a bit :slight_smile:

Ian

Oldham Meeting 2017-10-12

Code of Conduct

This code of conduct applies to your behaviour on all Hackspace Foundation communication channels, and any events that we run:

• Our association is inclusive; do not engage in homophobic, racist, transphobic, ableist, xenophobic, sexist, or otherwise exclusionary behaviour. Do not make exclusionary jokes, even “ironically”.
  • Don’t harass people. Physical contact or sexual attention without enthusiastic consent is harassment, or if taken to its extreme, abuse. Wearing revealing clothes or flirting are not necessarily consent. If you’re asked to stop, do so. If you’re not sure the person is happy with what you are doing, ask.
  • Aggression and elitism are unwelcome – knowledge is not a competition.
  • We’d rather you ask about gender than assume, and if you get it wrong, apologise. Mistakes happen, however you should always use the person’s preferred pronouns when addressing or discussing them.
  • People’s private lives are their own. Do not share details about others that they have not explicitly made public. This includes, but is not limited to, sexuality, gender, medical conditions, housing, relationship or financial status.
  • Although alcoholic drinks are allowed, there is no expectation or pressure to drink alcohol or conversely not to drink alcohol. However, those who are obviously intoxicated will be asked to leave.
  • Discussion of how to make our association more inclusive is welcome. Claims that this “has gone too far” aren’t.

Breaches of the Code of Conduct are handled as per the Consequences of Bad Behaviour document. If you have any concerns about someone’s behaviour please let us know either in person, or by emailing contact@hackspace.org.uk.

Whilst copied here for reference, the authorative version of this code of conduct can be found at https://github.com/UKHackspaceFoundation/foundation/blob/master/codeOfConduct.md

Definition of a Hackspace

Proposer: Andrés Muñiz-Piniella

The foundation website states the following:

The UK Hackspace Foundation considers an organisation a Hackspace, and thus eligible to join as a Member Space, if it:

• is member owned/operated,
  • is an unincorporated or incorporated association,
  • If incorporated, then it must be a not-for-profit / non-profit
  • is based in the UK, Republic of Ireland, or Crown Dependencies,
  • has a primary object of providing a shared workspace to its members,
  • has a bank account,
  • has ten or more members,
  • has a democratically elected board of at least 3 directors,
  • conducts its business by allowing each member over 16 one vote,
  • fosters a tolerent and inclusive community (see Code of Conduct),
  • encourages engagement with, and opening to, the public,
  • describes itself, or its activities, as a Hack(er)space (not necessary in the name or title of the group/business),
  • supporting of ‘STEAM’ (Science, Technology, Engineerings, Arts, Mathematics)
  • Conformance to these criteria is judged by the Foundation’s board

Examples of organisations that would not meet this criteria include spaces that are: solely used as a rentable, accessible workshop with paid access mainly a private club, group or clique (with the exception of membership being a gateway to regular access)

Opening to membership

Proposer: Damian Axford

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll make the meeting… but I’d like to see a plan that gets us through to having actual formal members of the UKHSF. As it stands, we have an incorporated company and funds to invest, but no members to structure our decision making or manage said investments.

Benefits of membership

See also: https://www.hackspace.org.uk/foundation/benefits.md

Confirmed benefits:

Pre-negotiated Hackspace insurance policy (liability and contents)
Help and moral support from other spaces who’ve been there/done that
Case studies of what’s worked, or not, at other spaces (e.g. access control, accounting)
Reference designs for common systems (e.g. access control, member management)

Are there other benefits we would like to offer?
Discounts we should be seeking?

Licensing Foundation Resources

See Licence for Hackspace Foundation resources

The Hackspace Foundation Resources are currently under a creative commons non commercial licence. The non commercial aspect of this licence has generated some discussion.

Is this an acceptable licence? Should we change to something else?

Teams

See: "Teams" we'll need, and should start planning for

At some point teams are formed and I have seen lots of progress so it is definitely a good call. Should we create more? What are those teams?

• Communications (Incoming email / Twitter / Facebook / Pidgeon / Fax)
  • Web (The website, building new tools such as the map and find-a-space things)
  • Outreach - stands at Maikerfaire etc
  • Support team - including conflict resolution

Should we be attempting to preempt the teams we need or simply allow them to form and fold organically as needed?

Trade Marks

See Trademarking

Should the foundation seek to trademark the term ‘hackspace’?

General consensus was that unless we were willing to then seek to police the usage of the term legally which would be a costly and time consuming effort, there is little point in attempting to pursue this.

Community discussions

Handling community a Hackspace Discussion, discussion, and discussion. Amongst other particular examples from spaces and how to brain storm solutions to improve collaboration.

In my Humble Opinion, the latter (Handling community) is the most important one, but can only be discussed after the first topic (define hackspace) is ironed out. All the other items can work as consequence of these two at a later date online.

does anyone have a summary output from the meeting they could share? hope it went well :slight_smile:

Summary? Can haz minutes!

Currently in draft but as soon as two or three people are happy they’re accurate I’ll post them up here.

You were missed :slight_smile:

Ian.

2 Likes

Hi All,

Sorry it’s taken some time to get the minutes up but consensus building is time consuming as we’re all aware. Hoping to have final version up tomorrow all being well.

Thanks for your continued patience :slight_smile:

Regards, Ian.

2 Likes

Hi All,

The minutes for the meetup can now be found on github at https://github.com/UKHackspaceFoundation/meetings/blob/master/2017-10-12-Oldham/minutes.md

If anyone has specific questions or concerns, it’s probably time to start a new thread for those.

Apologies for the delay in getting these out.

Regards, Ian.

1 Like

thanks