Hackspace organization setup

Hello

I am Tom from Hackspace High Wycombe.
We are a group of 10-15 regular members that have been meeting twice a month for about 3 years in the back of a pub. Recently we have moved to renting a hall which is funded by one kind member.

We are currently trying to set up a way of funding the hall rental from members but don’t have any experience in this area.

From the research we have done we are leaning towards a unincorporated association due to the simpler administration as we have no current plans to get a space of are own but are aware this may be a plan in the future. I have read that the HSF recommends a Limited By Guarantee company but we are not sure what this would involve.

I would be great if we could get some input from anyone that has experience with these things and what pitfalls we should look out for.

Thanks

Hack Oldham went down the company limited by guarantee route and it was fairly painless. No different that setting up a limited company.

If you are considering funding you should speak to http://www.communityimpactbucks.org.uk/. They will be able to show you what funding is available in your area and what company type is suitable.

A hackspace is a “voluntary organisation” and as a result there is a lot of support available if you look for it.

Thank you @p0welly for the information.

I had heard of community impact bucks but there is some really good stuff on there that I missed.

Will keep looking and go ask some other hackspaces.

Thank you again

Tom