Hackspace Magazine

Received at Leeds hackspace.

We’ve got some too now. Just seemed odd that there was such a large gap between the first copies going out, but I guess they may not have known how much interest there would be, etc.

Ok now it’s out and people have had a look, what do people think?

It’s obviously not aimed at me personally but I’m not sure what to make of it really. It feels like it’s spread a bit thin, which i can imagine is going to be a problem for a magazine which wants to cover the whole range of interests that are covered by a hackspace.

So, in my very humble opinion:

From reading the introduction it honestly looks like something that could help promote the spaces. I am thinking of writing a couple of articles for the local spaces. So I am in agreement with @stanto but this of course is the first entry and it might go the way @jonty mentions.

Ben Everad used be in Linux Format, later Linux Voice and also the Tux Radar podcast. Which I followed for a while. He has written books on helping people to code. And that is what I have heard of him, I am sure he has done more. Sounds like a very decent person.

Our particular Hackspace likes sharing what we do and we keep a blog of sorts and we do publish stories in our local community magazine so publicising ourselves in a physical medium is not way out of our normal modus operandi.

Already, I think it is a better magazine than other similar magazines mentioned by @RandomTom

I don’t agree with the licence but it is the same one that we have for the Hackspace foundation Resources manual. And I understand the reasoning behind it.

I am considering subscribing for one box for two spaces, I have asked for pricing and I am waiting to hear back.

Received two boxes: one in CRE-8.org and one in RichmondMakerLabs. At the moment we have more people taking them away in CRE-8 than in RichmondMakerLabs.

I am also thinking of subscribing to one projects featured in the magazine, I would have known about it if I had not received the magazine.

As always, magazines are great for finding things that I did not know that I wanted to know. Those unknown unknowns is something I would normally miss because I am normally searching for things that I know that a want. Having a physical magazine makes it more probably for me to open it up and have a look leisurely while the electronic version will be forgotten really quickly. If there are any left over for the next issue I can always drop them off at the local GP, library or dentist office. I am sure it will be better than some of the magazines I find there.

So yes, not nice that they decided to ignore @jonty and @russ but if someone was going to do it has not been too bad the way they did it. I think it would be nice to have a Hackspace Foundation article written to be set in the magazine. Some time ago I added a marketing section to the repo but did not get very far.