Access control to an existing space

A brilliantly helpful document is being written here:
https://github.com/UKHackspaceFoundation/resources/blob/hackspace_owners_manual/Hackspace%20Owners%20Manual/Access%20Control/README.md

@idnorton discussed it on Telegram.
There is also an issue on Git repository.

My Question is. Would it be useful to have a way to retrofit to an existing door? Such as the one pictured
https://my.owndrive.com/index.php/s/4XtLfrJNZ4reQ64

https://my.owndrive.com/index.php/s/KF1VcFUhq4ov2dd

Also is it worth documenting access control to certain equipment? Like those that need specialized training?

Heya @amunizp,

Thanks for the kind words on the doc, feedback is welcome at this point :slight_smile: I’m really excited about the Hackspace Owners Manual concept and am really keen to see people start their own chapters. Perhaps I need to do a thing about what is the Hackspace Owners Manual, the format etc to get people excited :smiley:

Sorry to ask but can you get us some pictures of the frame also? Am I right in thinking that the lock is both a latch and a deadbolt? Exactly what make and model is the lock? What’s the backset (distance between the edge of the door and where the centre point of the handle/lock is)?

My initial thoughts are that it would be difficult to work with that. There’s no anti thrust bolt on the lock which means that you don’t want to be relying on just the latch. It might be possible to swap the lock for a different version from the same manufacturer thus retaining all of the hardware and then add a release to the frame, but it depends on the frame and if a suitable alternative is available with the same physical dimensions.

My Question is. Would it be useful to have a way to retrofit to an existing door? Such as the one pictured

Yes, and that’s very much the point of the case studies which haven’t been written yet. The doc covers the background and theory whilst making general recommendations then the case studies will show how that was implemented for a few examples, the issues they’ve seen with their implementation and how it’s worked well. The aim is to give enough information for people to make an informed decision about how they might implement their own solution rather than saying “You should do it like this”.

Also is it worth documenting access control to certain equipment? Like those that need specialized training?

Yes, I’ve completely missed that aspect from this doc. Not sure if it lives here or in it’s own doc about equipment access? Anybody got thoughts on that? I’ve been concentrating on physical access as that’s my bag but we should have something about equipment control.

Regards, Ian.

1 Like

I don’t Know what you mean by frame. The frame does not have any security feature. I don’t know the make. Yes it is a deadbolt and latch. So something that turns and another thing that pulls a lever would be what we are interested.

About equipment access I think Milwaukee HS has a guide, I can dig it up. I think it can be in the same document of access control as I can imagine a space with no default front door but with access control to equipment and tools.