# HSF Organisation

**URL:** https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/c/hackspace-foundation-organisation/5.md

[Latest](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/latest.md) · [Categories](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/categories.md)

---

## [About the HSF Organisation category](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/about-the-hackspace-foundation-organisation-category/25)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@system](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/system)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [7 November 2016 19:35 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/about-the-hackspace-foundation-organisation-category/25 "2016-11-07T19:35:45Z")

</div>

Discussion of the Hackspace Foundation organisation. Only members of the foundation can post.

---

## [Budget Proposals](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/budget-proposals/656)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@russ](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/russ)\
**Replies:** 7\
**Last updated:** [31 October 2024 19:57 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/budget-proposals/656 "2024-10-31T19:57:40Z")

</div>

Hello folks, As promised, here are some thoughts about spending and budgets in response to our recent funding. This represents a year’s budget, and it isn’t some final masterplan, so comments are welcome. I recommend n…

---

## [New Hackspace Foundation Branding](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/new-hackspace-foundation-branding/32)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@jonty](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/jonty)\
**Replies:** 54\
**Last updated:** [27 July 2020 13:54 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/new-hackspace-foundation-branding/32 "2020-07-27T13:54:58Z")

</div>

For now we're using the hammer logo, however Matt Brown who designed the original Hackspace H logo has recently quit Apple and thus can work on a new logo for the HSF. It might just be a better version of the hammer logo…

---

## [2018-19 Accounts](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/2018-19-accounts/774)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@russ](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/russ)\
**Replies:** 1\
**Last updated:** [9 October 2019 22:24 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/2018-19-accounts/774 "2019-10-09T22:24:25Z")

</div>

The accounts for the 2018-19 financial year have been approved, and you can find them below. This year includes the $300,000 donation from Handshake, along with associated foreign exchange gains and interest income whic…

---

## [Building the new website](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/building-the-new-website/28)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@jonty](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/jonty)\
**Replies:** 22\
**Last updated:** [26 November 2018 16:47 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/building-the-new-website/28 "2018-11-26T16:47:37Z")

</div>

So far while we're working on lots of new content, we've not got anybody working on the website. Do we have people willing to work on this in the near future?

---

## [Funding Announcement](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/funding-announcement/612)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@russ](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/russ)\
**Replies:** 21\
**Last updated:** [3 November 2018 13:11 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/funding-announcement/612 "2018-11-03T13:11:17Z")

</div>

I’m very happy to finally announce that the UK Hackspace Foundation has received a $300,000 donation from Handshake - this is around £225,000 at current exchange rates. I’d like to emphasise that this donation is comple…

---

## [Plan for getting on with it (adding members/spaces etc)](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/plan-for-getting-on-with-it-adding-members-spaces-etc/588)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@castaway](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/castaway)\
**Replies:** 6\
**Last updated:** [7 November 2018 22:53 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/plan-for-getting-on-with-it-adding-members-spaces-etc/588 "2018-11-07T22:53:18Z")

</div>

Bootstrapping members - so that we can actually have elections etc: Step 1: Nominate one person from each space of the already active persons helping out with UKHF setup already (eg on here, in the telegram group etc) …

---

## [2017-18 Accounts](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/2017-18-accounts/619)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@russ](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/russ)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [17 October 2018 23:03 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/2017-18-accounts/619 "2018-10-17T23:03:44Z")

</div>

I forgot to mention that I filed our 2017-18 accounts a month or so back. They aren’t especially interesting but you can find them on Companies House - I elected to include the Profit & Loss in the public filing so these…

---

## [Trademarking](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/trademarking/210)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@jonty](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/jonty)\
**Replies:** 86\
**Last updated:** [27 November 2017 11:25 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/trademarking/210 "2017-11-27T11:25:26Z")

</div>

So it begins, a company is applying to trademark Makerspace in the UK: https://twitter.com/concreted0g/status/851387933462601728 Question is, should we be doing anything about it, and should we be doing anything about …

---

## [Definition and status of Hackspaces](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/definition-and-status-of-hackspaces/40)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@axford](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/axford)\
**Replies:** 44\
**Last updated:** [23 November 2017 23:44 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/definition-and-status-of-hackspaces/40 "2017-11-23T23:44:04Z")

</div>

Open discussion of how the HSF defines a Hackspace, and it's associated status (e.g. Active, Starting) Latest definition on github: Summary of Telegram discussion on status: Starting/Forming - has some kind of …

---

## [Pembrokeshire Hackspace?](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/pembrokeshire-hackspace/353)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@pembrokeshireperson1](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/pembrokeshireperson1)\
**Replies:** 2\
**Last updated:** [19 November 2017 10:05 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/pembrokeshire-hackspace/353 "2017-11-19T10:05:37Z")

</div>

On the map East of Cardiff, there is a pin for a starting Pembrokeshire Hackspace. One it’s likely in the wrong place, but it also redirects back to the main website. Is there a way I could be connected with these peopl…

---

## [First UK Hackspace Foundation V2 meetup](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/first-uk-hackspace-foundation-v2-meetup/36)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@jonty](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/jonty)\
**Replies:** 28\
**Last updated:** [17 November 2017 19:02 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/first-uk-hackspace-foundation-v2-meetup/36 "2017-11-17T19:02:07Z")

</div>

We should all try and meet up socially to talk about this before it gets too large to be feasible. How does Birmingham sound?

---

## [Email campaign management tool](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/email-campaign-management-tool/45)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@axford](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/axford)\
**Replies:** 13\
**Last updated:** [12 October 2017 19:20 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/email-campaign-management-tool/45 "2017-10-12T19:20:23Z")

</div>

In support of sending/tracking mass email communications to other hackspaces (e.g. initial approach/survey comms), it would be useful to leverage a free email campaign mgmt tool. Options suggested so far: https://www…

---

## [Licence for Hackspace Foundation resources](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/licence-for-hackspace-foundation-resources/300)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@amunizp](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/amunizp)\
**Replies:** 4\
**Last updated:** [14 August 2017 06:58 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/licence-for-hackspace-foundation-resources/300 "2017-08-14T06:58:25Z")

</div>

The Hackspace Foundation Resources is currently under a creative commons non commercial licence. I have noticed that some Hackspaces licence their wiki/web pages under a more free culture licence. So I raised the issue…

---

## [Hackspace Meetspace!](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/hackspace-meetspace/205)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@badspyro](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/badspyro)\
**Replies:** 7\
**Last updated:** [2 August 2017 13:02 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/hackspace-meetspace/205 "2017-08-02T13:02:43Z")

</div>

So, we've recently had a few discussions and chats that have made it apparent that a meet up is definitely needed outside of the digital world, and that's beside the allure of cake from someone if we do meet up. Such …

---

## [Website Working Group](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/website-working-group/207)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@unknowndomain](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/unknowndomain)\
**Replies:** 23\
**Last updated:** [3 May 2017 09:26 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/website-working-group/207 "2017-05-03T09:26:14Z")

</div>

I'm proposing to move the website forward we create a small working group that puts a final proposal together for the group to review, and once approved moves on to implementation. If folks are interested in doing this…

---

## [Hackspace foundation code of conduct](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/hackspace-foundation-code-of-conduct/216)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@idnorton](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/idnorton)\
**Replies:** 10\
**Last updated:** [2 May 2017 16:47 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/hackspace-foundation-code-of-conduct/216 "2017-05-02T16:47:29Z")

</div>

Hi Peeps, We kicked off a discussion some time ago regarding code of conduct which needs to be a little easier to find both on the website and the forum but can be found at https://www.hackspace.org.uk/foundation/codeO…

---

## [TL;DR Progress summary (aka what we've been up to)](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/tl-dr-progress-summary-aka-what-weve-been-up-to/58)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@axford](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/axford)\
**Replies:** 4\
**Last updated:** [11 April 2017 23:51 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/tl-dr-progress-summary-aka-what-weve-been-up-to/58 "2017-04-11T23:51:20Z")

</div>

Start of a regular-ish progress summary - maybe weekly, maybe monthly, we'll see. For those that struggle to keep up with hundreds of telegram messages, various Discourse dicussions, waffle/github, etc. NOTE: This par…

---

## [Name and Geographical Remit](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/name-and-geographical-remit/208)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@russ](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/russ)\
**Replies:** 5\
**Last updated:** [4 April 2017 16:43 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/name-and-geographical-remit/208 "2017-04-04T16:43:29Z")

</div>

I was chatting with people from Irish spaces at Maker Faire on the weekend, and they raised the question of whether they're still meant to be involved with the Foundation as it's now the "UK Hackspace Foundation". We hav…

---

## [Which chat/communications software/medium?](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/which-chat-communications-software-medium/204)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@stanto](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/stanto)\
**Replies:** 8\
**Last updated:** [3 April 2017 16:03 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/which-chat-communications-software-medium/204 "2017-04-03T16:03:10Z")

</div>

A few XKCDs are relevant here. (https://xkcd.com/1782/ , https://xkcd.com/1254/ , https://www.xkcd.com/1810/) Currently the main chat is happening on Telegram. People have raised some concerns/issues: Only one owner…

---

## [Planning for outreach at the next hacker/maker event](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/planning-for-outreach-at-the-next-hacker-maker-event/34)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@jonty](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/jonty)\
**Replies:** 39\
**Last updated:** [2 April 2017 21:41 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/planning-for-outreach-at-the-next-hacker-maker-event/34 "2017-04-02T21:41:37Z")

</div>

Given we're REALLY GOING FOR IT I think we should put some real effort into outreach at the next hacker/maker event. In the past we've had the HSF stall with the "big map" allowing people to pin where they came from an…

---

## [Member management system](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/member-management-system/202)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@stanto](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/stanto)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [1 April 2017 14:59 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/member-management-system/202 "2017-04-01T14:59:36Z")

</div>

We want people to be able to sign up to be members of the Hackspace Foundation. What information do we require for them to let them do this? What system shall we use to store this? How will that system interface wi…

---

## [How are we going to do the initial outreach to all the new spaces?](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/how-are-we-going-to-do-the-initial-outreach-to-all-the-new-spaces/35)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@jonty](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/jonty)\
**Replies:** 14\
**Last updated:** [17 January 2017 18:34 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/how-are-we-going-to-do-the-initial-outreach-to-all-the-new-spaces/35 "2017-01-17T18:34:45Z")

</div>

The current plan is: Invite all the spaces to send two people to Discourse/Telegram(?) Have an election Profit However we've not talked about how we're actually going to pull off option (1). I suggested we email all…

---

## [Articles of Association](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/articles-of-association/60)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@russ](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/russ)\
**Replies:** 22\
**Last updated:** [9 January 2017 12:36 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/articles-of-association/60 "2017-01-09T12:36:11Z")

</div>

I've finished the first stab at the articles of association. This is based on the LHS articles (as I'm most familiar with them) with tweaks inspired by the Somerset Rules and the Co-operatives UK model articles. Yr att…

---

## [Groups/Access](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/groups-access/75)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@russ](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/russ)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [8 January 2017 16:03 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/groups-access/75 "2017-01-08T16:03:34Z")

</div>

I've created some groups - everyone who currently has an account has been added to the "Members" group, and I've restricted access to the HSF Organisation category to those only. This means we can start promoting this …

---

## [Lets Encrypt Certs and Adding hackspace.org.uk to the Public Suffix List](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/lets-encrypt-certs-and-adding-hackspace-org-uk-to-the-public-suffix-list/72)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@Jasper](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/Jasper)\
**Replies:** 0\
**Last updated:** [29 December 2016 13:25 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/lets-encrypt-certs-and-adding-hackspace-org-uk-to-the-public-suffix-list/72 "2016-12-29T13:25:21Z")

</div>

\[This was on the uk-hackspaces mailing list, reposting here where it’s more useful\]. \[Update: looks like the PSL backlog has been cleared?\] \[Edit, update rate limit url and details\] Hi, We’ve started using Lets Encry…

---

## [Using Waffle.io](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/using-waffle-io/53)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@stanto](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/stanto)\
**Replies:** 2\
**Last updated:** [15 November 2016 05:54 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/using-waffle-io/53 "2016-11-15T05:54:52Z")

</div>

Waffle can be confusing to look at if you're not familiar with the tool, terms and 'agile development'. There's not been strictly a set way decided on how to use it, so there's no fault of yours for it coming across as a…

---

## [Password management for Foundation infrastructure](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/password-management-for-foundation-infrastructure/44)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@axford](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/axford)\
**Replies:** 13\
**Last updated:** [15 November 2016 01:19 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/password-management-for-foundation-infrastructure/44 "2016-11-15T01:19:11Z")

</div>

To avoid password tracking headaches, I think it would make sense for us to adopt a central password management tool Initial suggestions include: Lastpass Keepass (in Google Drive) Chris notes that Lastpass is als…

---

## [What company contacts or organisational contacts to people have?](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/what-company-contacts-or-organisational-contacts-to-people-have/49)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@stanto](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/stanto)\
**Replies:** 2\
**Last updated:** [14 November 2016 23:06 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/what-company-contacts-or-organisational-contacts-to-people-have/49 "2016-11-14T23:06:56Z")

</div>

As some are aware, I also work for Premier Farnell, and in the past they have been amiable to sponsor EMF Camp, and have been known to happily work with Hackspaces in various capacities. I'm also a member of the IEEE, …

---

## [Telegram Chat Log Summary/ies](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/telegram-chat-log-summary-ies/47)

<div class="topic-metadata">

**Author:** [@stanto](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/u/stanto)\
**Replies:** 2\
**Last updated:** [13 November 2016 01:26 UTC](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/t/telegram-chat-log-summary-ies/47 "2016-11-13T01:26:49Z")

</div>

A chat room is useful for quickfire sanity checking before going full blown into a discussion on discourse. When this resurgence started, it began on telegram. 300+ posts a day got somewhat unruly. Telegram is also an …

[Next page](https://forum.hackspace.org.uk/c/hackspace-foundation-organisation/5.md?page=1)
